Tuesday, August 28, 2007

THE SISHTER(S)

25th January 1990. I was not yet five. To be precise, I wouldnt be five for another six months and thirteen days but what happened on the mentioned date gave me the status of a big boy instantly though obviously not over night (bio books say it is usually nine months but I guess storks do visit and since I love stories then and now... I believe the status was over night and hence more dramatic). Regardless of what might be conceived, This isn't about me... And yet again it is all about me.
A bundle wrapped and very silent in my mom's arms from the door of the MH ward is my first memory. My mum was in pink and black cap with a bundle of clothes, the clothes were actually wrapped around a blob who weighed more than me at birth (this info I was given later in life when I understood these things better. you know the time when you are wiser... ). I am not sure if I was excited, My memory fails me. I dont remember any time before this blob came around. I have no memory of being jealous because of her, My mum, dad and gran remembered me like always.
I do remember jumping on my mum's bed for hours together to get the the blob to smile or cackle. Toothless as the blob was! I remember the times when I would push the blob no more in a pram all over the place. I remember running to school in our bus. I remember being cruel to the blob. I remember not being concerned about the blob who called me bhaiya, who topped all her classes effortlessly, who was the most beautiful, the cutest. Who would smile or sulk in the heart melting manner. The blob was always made to be a brain box. The blob would sit on my study table and go through books without tearing a single one ever. The blob has taken a day off from school just because the blob was always stubborn and the blob got scolded rather royally. The blob was the most beautiful on Diwali in the very pink lehnga.
I have been angry with the blob because the blob never got scolded about studies. Always topped and I adored the blob because the blob was utterly to adorable.
I have been very very cruel to the blob on more occasions than I would like to admit. But I know them all. And there are moments I still remember the day it rained cats and dogs and the time when it flooded our school and the school was called half way through. We were put in a bus and asked to leave. I was taken up by a fear. The blob was not in the bus. This would be the last bus home (which wasnt true as I think in retrospect) but I begged the driver to give me five minutes to fetch the blob who was in first class (note the blob was so smart the teacher felt no need for the blob to do UKG and the Blob topped even being the youngest in class). I pulled the blob from the perfectly orderly line explained to no one and made the blob wade through a flood to reach the bus. I was being foolish and each time when I have thought about the day I have felt even more foolish but I would do it again and still be foolish than to have the blob make way how a bhaiya less blob would.
But I have also remember the time when both of us went out armed with pichkari's and water filled balloons and colours (the complete artillery for a good day on holi) and I used the first balloon as target practice on the blob's face. before bursting into tears I saw the blob's trust flowing away with the tears and that wasnt the only time...
The blob made birthday cards for me and wrote me letters and unbelievably missed me when I was away from home. The cards always said the best brother in the world and so did the letters. They always reminded me of all the times I had been a brother hardly.
The blob loved the first cake I made.
The blob lobbed a tennis ball at me for hours while I batted. The blob played and paused and played and paused while I made lousy attempts trying to dance (The blob though was a natural at Ekpal ka jeena and other confounded steps which Hrithik shows off with)
The Blob has let me eat her food when I have been greedy. The Blob has kept more secrets than I could ever imagine. the blob has scolded me as though it was the Blob who was older.
The Blob has always responded to all the names I have given. The Blob started reading and debating. The Blob has become far from a blob. The Blob still laughs the head off when I do my eccentricities of imitating the Spiderman or do ludicrous imitations. The blob doesnt know that as old it grows I can still see the Cutest most adorable girl laughing when she laughs now.
The Blob went ahead and became the head girl of her school and topped her school with science and comp in her 12th. With 98 in maths.
The Blob is my adorable Sis. I have hardly given her anything but I have thanked god and parents for her existence in my life a million times.
This is the fifth raksha bandhan I have missed. I have had her Rakhi on my wrist and I am superstitious about them. I feel protected with whatever she chooses for me to tie on my wrist.
I can go on and on and on... and on and on...
But when I called my sis this day and she said I love you... i walked with the memories of the times when I have shamed her and asked for forgiveness...
-----
The Blob never had a choice but Angel of Dusk did and she still chose to tie me a Rakhi or attempted to in the four years I have known her. I havent been there for her as much I should have been But she still chooses to associate with me... I called her... She picked the phone. She knew who it was. And she was surprised again that I was flattered for her to think of me as she did.
-----
Ujju, had it thrust on her. She couldnt help it. She is the surrogate sis for a simple reason of her mum being my surrogate mum. I am not sure she was to happy being accorded the status of being sis to me but she couldnt help it... I couldnt reach her phone... the Nut!
----
HIDI doesnt even know she would ever be on this list but she is ever since she wrote me a mail. I have always considered her the ELDEST and she is the coolest and too cool for words which means the same as coolest but what the hell? she is the coolest... and she also has been burdened for no fault of her. I wished I could have called you today...

21 comments:

Prats said...

i cant believe u called ur sister a blob! throughout the post!! jeez..
yeah yeah.. i luv u too :P
and yeah people my mum loves him so he's like my unofficial brother :) sigh..wht can i say? u cant chose family ;)

Prats said...

btw.. i really do luv u, u big doofus! **hugs** happy raksha bandhan :)

H said...

Aww.

And, such a lovely blob she is.
And HIDI is obvioulsy HUGELY honoured.

Me Thinks.. said...

This post has been written from the heart...By far, in the best way possible...
I have never seen your blob, thanks to you...but thats the cutest rendition for a sister..

PS Thanks ;)

Pavitra said...

I have met quite a few brothers in my lifetime...never once have I seen even one of their faces light up the way urs does when talking abt the sis. It was a treat and this is one thing i was always sure of that you love her and are proud of her and are a wonderful brother.
Happy Rakhi

Cosmos said...

I could see every moment you wrote about..
Great imotions.. i am not in position to say more my hands are still shivering.
You are the BHAI

Goli said...

Hey,

Dude this is really beautiful, I dont Know what more to write.

Along with you I also travelled along my memory lane and remembered all the good and and not so good times with my sister.

Anonymous said...

i came home today n my mum told me tht DESI had written something very beautiful which i guess was for me.so finally when i did read it i was left speechless which doesnt happen often.i remember all those times when we(my brother n i) had a fight n i hated him,all those birthdays where he wouldnt give me the gift in my hand but made 'treasure hunt' for it, all those times u'd fight for me n protect me.but this was when i were little(coz he was always da BIG BROTHER) n when i grew up(i.e. i had little addition in my upperstory) N he went away to college n i realised that i did indeed 'surprisingly miss' him. all those times wen i wanted to talk n wen we did talk i'd pour out all my worries(those petty issues teens have) n he listened to them ever so patiently even though he had probs of his own...there is so much to say.....i'll end it by saying i m the proudest sister in this whole world n even if i had a choice i'd choose my BHAIYA a million times over......n all the rakhi sisters u r very lucky to have found a surrogate bro like this dude......n i m honoured to be the BLOB desi calls his SISTER...luv ya

~P~ said...

I missed my brother more than ever...more than ever...Lived every moment of what you said!!!

Alien said...

Wonderfully written... brought a sniffle when i read it..

MH and all... does that make you and the blob 'fauji brats' ??

;-)

Alien said...

Yes me be too.. in fact me be one meself!!

Thanks for the visit!

angelofdusk said...

i love you pricky... (and if that means i will have to dish out a million treat s all over again and then go broke all obver again na then be expected to treat u again for the same reasons, i would)

its been long since i cried tears of joy... thanks for bringing them to me. and your rakhi is still there with me wondering to what address i send it this time!!

blob can i share pricky with you in the million births to come??!!!
surrogate or whatever but still...

angelofdusk said...

and there is a little something that pricky would never see that will exist, with or without "being there"

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend

not even one post of yours was read by me fully.....hardly i read one para.....n close.....but this one word by word ....so absorbing...wonderful.....such a valuable emotions flowing like Ganges...gift to blob on the day of Rakhi.....Bro n sis..love is such... nothing can eqiual...i know how it is i have 3 bros ... all gems...we used to fight a lot..hehhe even now we fight.....

My best wishes to Blob and Bhai :)

Geetha said...

Hey

the above comment was given by me

aunty..........

Anonymous said...

this is one of the sweetest posts you've written, pricky! the blob and you are extremely lucky to have each other! :) i hope you guys stay just as close and happy forever!

D said...

FUCK Dude.....this is simply awesome....you know what, I guess each one of us have these special moments and yet they are same for everyone. Whatever....I liked it....by the way...it reminds me...that I've 2 sent my 'blob' some books. And yeah even I was short of reaching 5, when she was born....

Ree said...

goodness me, i cant stop smiling, not coz this is sweet etc etc, but just coz u mnaged to call her a blob throughout...if i ever do meet her, that is just what i will remember first!

Canary said...

I forgot Raksha Bandhan this year :(
Actually my brother does not even expect me to call him up, given how absent-minded I am :P

Anu said...

very sweet post... Cute like ure blob and U (though u forbid anyone callin u cute I will take that chance :-)

angelofdusk said...

Miss you mere than ever... missed u at rakhi tried calling you a million times wondered if u walked out too.. thought id let u know... miss ya